The resistance band is certainly the most cost-effective workout tool, in addition to being terribly convenient to use and store.
It is certainly one of the indispensable equipment for home workouts, there are 100 ways to use it. Good news for girls (and guys too), resistance bands butt workout is really effective, activating butt muscles, but also preparing them to work out before a session at the gym.
It's very common to see the quadriceps taking over in exercises like squats or lunges (most people have dominant quadriceps, they use them in spite of themselves on exercises that aren't dedicated to developing them), which can be quite annoying (like "let my booty do the work, you're already fat enough!") if you really want your butt to do most of the work.
There are several reasons for this, but one of the main reasons is that your hips are not flexible enough. When this is the case, you are more likely to initiate movements such as squatting from your knees rather than your hips, putting pressure on your legs rather than your buttocks.
This resistance bands butt workout is really great for targeting the booty muscles, regardless of the shape of your buttocks. It's a great option if you want to do a buttock-focused workout, but it's also great for getting your butt more involved as part of a complete workout.
Gluteal isolation exercises, such as the ones we'll see below, will prepare your muscles well and preactivate them to work harder on the more comprehensive exercises that follow, such as squats.
So you can do some of these movements as a pre-workout before moving on to more complete movements, or do the following program at home for a gluteal workout.
Here is an article that will guide you on how to choose the right diet if you want to have a nice butt: your nutrition guide to building that booty.
Your Resistance Bands Butt Workout :
Sidewalk - 20 repetitions
Standing kickback - 20 reps each side
Lateral extensions - 20 repetitions for each leg
Clams - 20 reps each side
Glute Bridge - 20 rehearsals
Donkey Kicks - 20 reps each side
Romanian Deadlift - 20 rehearsals
Squat Jump - 20 rehearsals
Squat Goblet - 20 rehearsals
Lunges - 20 repetitions on each leg
Do this circuit twice, then go cry in pain (for the right cause). You can do this workout two or three times a week and/or select two movements to perform before each indoor workout to warm up and pre-activate your buttocks.
⚠️: If you are able to complete all 20 repetitions of a movement without pain, increase the resistance of your elastic band. Follow the link to learn how to set up a full-body workout plan to build muscle with the kit of resistance bands.
Resistance Bands Butt Workout: 10 Exercises
1) CRAB WALK:
- Place your elastic bands above your knees and/or around your ankles.
- Put yourself in a 1/4 squat position (knees slightly bent), with your feet hip-width apart.
- Your hands rest on your chest, on your hips or they can be joined together, in front of you.
- Chase your right foot outwards to have your feet shoulder-width apart, then bring your left foot back to the feet-hip width position. Repeat.
- Do 3 chased steps to the right, then 3 to the left, this constitutes 1 repetition, do 20 so.
⚠️: try to keep your body weight in the center, your abdominal muscles must be well sheathed, you must also put constant pressure on the weight band.
2) STANDING KICKS:
- Position your elastic around your ankles or above your knees.
- Hands-on the chest, hips, or grasping support.
- Place your full weight on your left leg and apply tension to the band by positioning your right leg backward.
- Tighten your abs and send your right leg back as far as possible while keeping this leg perfectly straight (very important, because you want to target the buttocks only).
- Bring your right foot back to its initial position (it does not touch the ground), keeping the tension in the elastic, you have done a repeat!
- Do 20 repetitions with each leg.
⚠️: the greater the resistance of the exercise, the smaller the range of movement will be, it doesn't matter, the movement doesn't have to be very big. If you feel your lower back arching when you send your leg backward, reduce the range of motion.
You can also perform this movement on the ground, in which case your body weight rests on both hands (or forearms) as well as on one of your knees. The band is then placed below the knee on the ground and above the knee of the working leg.
3) SIDE LIFTS / HIP EXTENSIONS:
- Position the resistance band above the knees.
- You are standing with your feet hip-width apart, your hands rest on your hips or on a support so you don't lose your balance.
- Lift your right leg outwards, keeping it straight throughout the entire movement, then bring it back to complete the repetition.
- Do 20 repetitions and then switch legs.
⚠️: Keep the abdominal strap engaged during the exercise and make sure your back is straight. If you are able to complete all 20 reps without difficulty, increase the resistance of your elastic (you should suffer after 15 reps).
4) CLAMS: HIP EXTENSIONS KNEES BENT:
- Place the elastic resistance above the knees.
- Lie on your side with your hands on the ground and raise your feet to hip height if you can, your knees are in contact with the ground.
- Move the knee up from above towards the ceiling (as if your two knees were pushing each other away) while keeping your feet together, then bring the knee back, it's a rehearsal!
- Do 20 reps and then switch sides.
⚠️: If it is too difficult to do the movement with your feet up, leave them on the ground. This is a great activation exercise to do before any squat or lunge moves! Bend your knees well, push one leg on the ground and unfold the other using the force of your buttocks (it is mainly the gluteus medius that will be active on this movement).
5) HIP BRIDGE:
- Place the elastics above your thighs and hold the ends in your hands flat on the floor.
- Lie on your back, arms on the ground on either side of your body, knees bent, feet flat and spaced the width of your pelvis.
- Tighten your buttocks and your abdominal belt while lifting your pelvis towards the ceiling, push on your heels!
- Hold the position for a few seconds, you should feel your buttocks active.
- Slowly return to the initial position to complete 1 rehearsal, make 20.
⚠️: Instead of holding the bands in your hands, you can do as shown and attach them to a stick held under your feet, which is more stable. You can also move your knees away from each other at the end of the movement (hip extension). If you have a dumbbell or kettlebell at home, you can place the load on your hips to increase the intensity.
6) DONKEY KICKS:
- You can place your bandage as you wish: as shown or by placing one end around the ankle and the other in the middle of the arch of the leg that is going to work.
- Start on all fours, then "swing" your left leg back, bent knee.
- Hold for a few seconds at the end of the movement.
- Bring the leg back to complete your rehearsal.
- Repeat for 20 reps, then switch legs.
⚠️: the more time you spend holding your leg up, the more the gluteal muscles will be contracted, the better the results, hold on!
7) ROMANIAN DEADLIFT:
- Place your rubber band under both feet and at the level of your trapeziums (not on the nape of the neck, it's uncomfortable).
- "Send your hips back, while bending your knees slightly and staying in a stationary position.
- As you push on your hips, you should feel a stretch in your ischial muscles.
- When you've reached your maximum ischial stretch, it's time to bring your hips forward as you exhale.
- In the up position, lock your hips and squeeze your buttocks, a voluntary contraction.
⚠️: Throughout the entire movement, make sure to keep your lower back straight and your chest out.
8) SQUAT JUMP:
- Place your bandage at the thigh level.
- Get into a squat position, feet spaced the width of the pelvis.
- Get down to a full squat position, as low as you can.
- Rise explosively by pushing hard on the heels.
- Jump to complete 1 repetition.
- Make it 20.
⚠️: this movement is really excellent because it is explosive, it belongs to the family of plyometric exercises, more efficient than movements with the simple weight of the body (then with the elastic resistance in addition...). To make your squat jump a little more difficult, you can replace the jump by a "star jump", as shown opposite. To do this, you "just" have to spread your legs by jumping as high as possible, burns guaranteed!
9) SQUAT GOBLET:
- Place the elastic band under your feet and over your load (or in your hands if you do not have a load).
- Initial position: Standing with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Get down to a full squat position by sending your hips backward and trying to go lower than parallel (the buttocks are almost on the ground).
- Go back up to do 1 rehearsal. Make it 20.
⚠️: adding an elastic band to your squat is a great thing to make the exercise much more intense, your buttocks will work hard. I really encourage you to test it on squat goblet (with a load in your hands). Remember to keep your abdominal strap well sheathed and your back straight.
10) SLITS TO THE STRAPS:
- Make a loop by passing the elastic under your foot and around your trapeziums.
- Place the other foot on a raised stand behind you.
- Gain your abdominal muscles to ensure stability, place your shoulders backward to keep your back straight during the movement.
- Descend to perform a complete lunge and then come back up by pushing explosively on your heel on the ground, the knee remains in the axis of the foot.
- Do your 20 rehearsals, then switch legs.
⚠️: remember that the lunge is a flexion of the front leg, performed on a vertical axis, the pelvis descends vertically together with the knee of the back leg. The knee does not extend beyond your toes.
With this resistance bands butt workout, you have no excuse to work on your buttocks at home!
Unless you don't have any resistance bands...
The best bands of resistance I can recommend today are these:
The thickness of the bands varies according to the desired resistance. The ideal is to have several bands like this pack of 5 elastics, then you will be able to do all types of strength exercises. If 5 elastics seem too much, I advise you to buy the little pack!
I use them to run this training program. If you want more details on these resistance bands, check out the article about them by clicking this link!
Try performing these 10 gluteal exercises with the resistance bands for 30 days.
I would like to know your results. You can share them with us in the comments section.
I hope this article has helped you! You can leave a comment, it will be my pleasure to answer you!
Images sources :